Call Poison Control Center at 212-340-4494 or
- First of all, remain calm.
- Call the Poison Center or your physician.
- Have the following information ready:
- Age of patient
- Your name and phone number
- Name of product and ingredients
- Amount Involved
- Time poisoning occurred
- Any symptoms
The Poison Center or your Physician will give you instructions
on what to do next.
Vomiting may help to remove poisons from the stomach. If vomiting
is necessary, the Poison Center may instruct you to give the patient
syrup of ipecac. DO NOT GIVE IT UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED
TO DO SO. If you don't have syrup of ipecac, you can purchase a
one ounce bottle at your pharmacy. If hospital treatment is needed,
the Poison Center will direct you to the closest hospital that can
handle your problem. When taking someone to the hospital, one adult
should drive while another keeps the victim comfortable. Take the
container the poison was in and any vomited material. If the victim
requires and ambulance, the Poison Center will arrange for one for
- Store all drugs and chemicals in their original containers and
out of reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Never put chemicals in food containers.
- Following the use of any drug or chemical, put the cap on properly
and store the product out of reach and out of sight of children.
- Never call medicine candy.
- Use products with safety caps.
- Read and follow label directions on all products before using
- Keep the phone number of the Poison Center attached to your
telephone. Don't hesitate to call if you have a problem or a
If a poisoning occurs call Poison Control Center
at 212-340-4494 or 212-764-7667 (212-POISONS)